Megan A. Schaeffer
Estate Planning and Administration Group
Megan A. Schaeffer is an associate attorney in the Estate Planning and Administration Group. Megan’s practice concentrates on estate planning and the administration of estates and trusts.
Megan enjoys counseling a diverse client base, ranging from young adults to senior citizens and complex non-traditional families. Her goal is always the same: secure her client’s ideal future through thoughtful planning. She is experienced in drafting individualized estate planning documents such as wills, revocable trusts, powers of attorney and medical directives and she is dedicated to helping clients achieve personal and financial objectives.
In addition, Megan guides clients through all aspects of estate and trust administration. She handles probate and administration of estates, advises clients on fiduciary matters, and assists with the preparation and filing of federal and state estate tax returns.
On April 21, 2014, as a guest on Federal News Radio’s For Your Benefit, Megan discussed financial literacy as it relates to estate planning. (To listen to the complete interview go to: Federal News Radio: Financial Literacy and Estate Planning.)
Megan received her undergraduate degree from St. Mary’s College in Notre Dame, Indiana, and her law degree from DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, Illinois.
Professional Activities, Awards and Honors
Activities and Affiliations
- American Bar Association (Section on Real Property, Trust and Estate Law)
- Maryland State Bar Association (Chair, Estate & Gift Tax Study Group, 2014-2015 and 2015-2016)
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- Montgomery Hospice, Planning Giving Committee
Selected Speaking Engagements
- “Fundamental Aspects of Estate Planning,” U.S. Department of State Foreign Service Institute Mid-Career Retirement Planning Series, May 2014 and November 2014
P & F Reporter
- “Love, Marriage, and Remarriage: Common Estate Planning Questions from Blended Families” Spring 2015
Tel: (301) 656-8850 Ext. 484
Fax: (301) 656-3053
B.A., St. Mary’s College
J.D., DePaul University College of Law
District of Columbia