Marcia C. Fidis
Estate Planning and Administration Group
Marcia Fidis, a name partner and former managing partner of the firm, is one of the most accomplished estate planning attorneys in the state of Maryland. She is a fellow of the elite American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, an accredited estate planner, the former treasurer of the Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland, and a former trustee of the Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL).
Marcia’s practice centers on estate planning and probate and trust administration for clients with substantial net worth and complex assets.
Marcia, who holds an LL.M. in taxation from the Georgetown University Law Center, is also a leading expert in the tax implications of premarital agreements and divorce. For decades, she was one of the few attorneys in the state who taught divorce tax issues to other lawyers so that they could help their clients take taxes into account in planning divorce settlements.
In 2009, Marcia co-authored with Linda J. Ravdin, another partner at Pasternak & Fidis, a book entitled Premarital and Domestic Partnership Agreements, which covers all aspects of premarital agreements in Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Virginia.
In her practice, Marcia often works with the firm’s Divorce & Family Law attorneys, helping them advise their clients on such matters as premarital agreements, property settlement agreements and the division of retirement accounts.
The Pasternak & Fidis firm is the only place that Marcia has ever worked since her law school graduation. She originally joined the firm’s predecessor, Goldberg & Thompson, as an associate in 1977.
As the firm grew gradually through the 1980s to the 2000s, Marcia guided its growth in three areas of law highly relevant to the needs of residents of Montgomery County and of the D.C. metro area – estates and trusts, domestic relations, and real estate litigation.
The firm’s values have always mirrored Marcia’s personal credo: a high level of service to clients, a high level of integrity, and warmth and collegiality among the attorneys.
“I’m amazed and delighted that we have done so well over the years,” Marcia says. “Our goal is not and never has been to become a large law firm. We want to stay close to the values that brought us to where we are today.”
Marcia lives on Maryland’s Eastern Shore and is an avid sailor. In addition, she has worked with conservation groups such as the Talbot Preservation Alliance, which is dedicated to preserving the quality of life in Talbot County, Maryland.
Professional Activities, Awards and Honors
Activities and Affiliations
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel ( Fellow)
- Accredited Estate Planner (National Association of Estate Planners & Councils)
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (Former Treasurer)
- Montgomery County Bar Foundation (Former Director)
- Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL) (Former Trustee)
- Maryland State Bar Association (Section of Taxation)
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (Section of Taxation)
- American Bar Association (Section of Taxation)
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Divorce Tax Workshop, Maryland State Bar Association, December 2011
- Estate Planning 2011: What Has Changed, regional conference of Capital One Bank, October 2011
- “Negotiating Issues Related to Rights on Death,” American Bar Association Teleconference: Guidelines for Negotiating and Drafting Valid Premarital Agreements: Addressing Issues and Avoiding Pitfalls
- “Estate Planning Today: Basics and Beyond,” Georgetown University Law Center Reunion
- “Maryland Estate Tax Legislation,” Seminar jointly sponsored by Maryland State Bar Association, MICPEL, University of Maryland School of Law and University of Baltimore School of Law
Awards and Honors
- Super Lawyers – Estate Planning & Probate Lawyers
- Washingtonian – Top Financial Planners in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area
- Bethesda Magazine – Top Wills and Estate Lawyers in Montgomery County
- The American Lawyer/ The Best Lawyers in America – Trust & Estates
- The Daily Record 2001 Leadership in the Law Award
- Premarital and Domestic Partnership Agreements,(with Linda J. Ravdin), MICPEL, 2009
P & F Reporter
- “Premarital Agreements and the Older Couple” Summer 2010
- “Client Alert: Supreme Court Says Separation Agreement Waiver Not Enough to Change Retirement Plan Beneficiary” Winter 2009
- “Designating Retirement Plan Beneficiaries: Traps and Tips” October 2007
- “When Mature Couples Marry” March 2007
- “Leaving Money to Your Children: When You Have a Special Needs Child” October 2005
- “Spotlight on Marcia Fidis” October 2005
- “Leaving Money to Your Children: How to Leave Them at Peace, Not War” July 2004
- “Is Your Estate Planning Up to Date?” October 2003
- “What Is a Family Limited Partnership and What Does It Do?” (with N. Alfred Pasternak) June 2003
- “Retirement Plans and Life Insurance: Do You Know Who Your Beneficiaries Are?” August 2002
Tel: (301) 656-8850 Ext. 413
Fax: (301) 656-3053
B.A., Duke University
J.D., Washington College of Law, The American University
LL.M in Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center
District of Columbia
P & F Reporter Spotlight “Spotlight on Marcia Fidis” Oct 2005